So I have made it to Africa. I am loving it and it seems that it is going to be an AMAZING trip. Now, I am not sure what I will be doing quite yet but somethings have already happened and others are in the planning stage. Like today:
First I woke up to rain forest birds chirping outside of my window...in my parents living room/entry way.
Second, a quiet time (okay so far it hasn't been too different)
Third, about an hour drive in a beat up Toyota down a beat up road where we were literally off-roading and trying to get around giant craters in the road, driving through markets and crowds of Africans...they all stared and commented on my white skin.
Fourth, went to the first ever girls under 15 soccer game of the entire COUNTRY. (Okay this one doesn't sound that cool but trust me...it was. You should have seen the kids watching and the girls playing, who had NEVER played a game of soccer before. And when they made their first goal, the only goal i saw made, it was crazy. people running and jumping and hugging, just great!)
Fifth, I was surrounded, literally, by hundreds of kids, some my age and younger, completely staring at me while I simply stared back at them. I would greet them and they would shyly greet back and then say something in French or Lingala and begin to laugh when i just stared with a blank look. I don't know what they are saying so they would use that A LOT!
Sixth, back in the Toyota on the way back to TASOK (The American School of Kinshasa) and we actually found our way back, an amazing thing. We drove along the Congo river and I got to see some of the rapids never successfully traveled and the local fishermen.
Seventh, I made it back to TASOK in one piece and took a little nap...nice but I had my contacts in so not amazing once i woke up.
Eight, I went to play tennis with my dad and a man named David Law, who actually is an amazing man from the Congo, but not black, and who offered me the chance to travel five days down the congo with him in about two weeks...which is unheard of and an opportunity VERY few have. I really hope it works out.
Ninth, i left the tennis game (my dad and David played another man and his son) and took a walk through my first ever/one of the last rain forests in the world! Beautiful trees.
That is what brings me here and now i have dinner and later we are going to the Stone's (some friends of my parents) for dessert and discussing about a trip to Kicongo we are taking on Wednesday to Saturday. What an amazing trip this is turning out to be. Any questions for me then just ask and please email me if you would like. joe.cabalka@gmail.com I will email back and will give you any details if you would like them. I miss the States but I am seeing the beginning of what God desires to do in me and in the Congo. Continue to pray for these people, that God can become real to them. Hope to hear from you all soon.
Peace,
Joe C.
Saturday, March 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Joe man, take that river trip. It sounds amazing, and take lots of pictures. Brother, I'm praying for you, I'm glad you're having a blast. We are going to miss you here on the front... Alright man, PAX!
-M
joe, i am so glad to hear you are safe and having such an amazing time there! im going to email you soon because i want to hear so many more details! prayers are being sent up for you and i can't wait to hear about how the Lord uses you :)
tine
sounds glorious Joe.......and I thought the car ride to the airport was an adventure!!! :)
Keep up the updates..... they are fun to read and to know how to pray.
cp
Post a Comment